Thursday 16 August 2012

Pancakes and Sunshine

The meeting with the oncologist wasn’t quite what I expected. I was greeted by an elderly, clearly retired lady whose mannerisms were much like those of a headmistress! We marched to a small consultation room and she instructed me which chair to sit in. She sat opposite with her feet on a small foot stool. She looked at me and said nothing! I opened the conversation feeling rather awkward. I fired a few questions but felt I was answering my own queries. I did gain reassurance that with lobular, the usual method of treatment is mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes at the time of surgery. As the cancer is hard to detect this is the only sure way to see if it is likely to have spread. She also said that it is usual for people with cancer to have felt “unwell” or to feel there is something wrong with them quite some time before diagnosis. This accounts for me having felt “not my usual self” for around 18 months. She said that as most cancers these days were found in the early stages, there is less of a need for routine body / bone scans and these are not done as a matter of course.
She said I was doing all the right things with diet, exercise. She said get some food in the freezer (already done!) and get the garden done (not quite that simple!) Recovery from the op should be around 2-4 weeks, emotionally can be somewhat longer and may take a while for energy levels to build up. It also depends on any further treatment.

I have cancelled my place at college and postponed my voluntary work for the time being, hoping to get back to it in the autumn. We are all very keen to get out of Muirton, downsize and enjoy life with out the maintenance, expense and physical work of living here. Paul’s back is still not good and the lawns are ready for another cut. He now realises all the physical work I have put in over the years! Unfortunately he has gone back to smoking, I have pointed out that the girls do not want two parents with cancer. I have tried to encourage gum and chocolate as an alternative! His meeting with HR went well and they have told him just to take time off when he needs it, if he is unable to go into work just let someone know and do what he can from home on the laptop and mobile. That’s good as he can keep his annual leave for a weeks holiday once my treatment is over and also take a couple of weeks over Christmas.

Booked in for a reflexology at CLAN this morning and finally the sun has come out for an afternoon on the beach with Kim and James.

Just off to make pancakes for breakfast for Maisie and me! X

Ps. Delighted to hear that Alice had an enjoyable date with a young man from rowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment