Monday 22 October 2012

Sink or swim

We have been counting the days since surgery in much the same way as one does with a new born baby. Three days, ten days, two weeks, one month, 6 weeks etc. Reaching six weeks post surgery feels like quite a milestone. Week five to six saw a great improvement in my underarm cording with just a little tightness remaining but no real pain. Stabbing at the site of surgery is only occasional, although much of the area remains generally numb. I feel far less tired and generally “back to normal”.

It was fantastic to get back into running shoes on Sunday morning and I enjoyed a gentle two mile jog in glorious autumn sunshine. No pains, not a twinge, although the thigh muscles are feeling it a bit this evening!  I’d paid little attention before to the baseball cap that I always run in “Moonwalk Edinburgh 2007 – Uniting Against Breast Cancer”. Five years since I pounded the streets of Edinburgh through the night, wearing a decorated bra!

I pulled on and off, in front of the full length mirror, various items of swimwear to see what would be best to return to the pool in this week. I’m hoping to have a swim prosthesis after my appointment at clinic in November but until then I have to make do. That said, I’ve read stories of them floating away so maybe it’s less stressful to do without! Bikinis a non starter, not retaining any sort of shape and not at all likely to stay in place! V neckline of a one piece not ideal. Patterned, straight neckline, tankini proved by far the best option, my asymmetry less visible along with the scar, drawback, the lycra’s all gone in the top and so I need to search out and purchase something similar! Probably the wrong time of year for buying beach wear!

Edinburgh Moonwalk 2007

Race For Life 2010
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment