Sunday 7 October 2012

One month later


Too long sat in the car yesterday, feeling every bump in the road and seat belt sitting right over my scar. A small soft cushion wedged under my arm helps to remove some of the discomfort. Otherwise enjoyed the day out and tour round Queen Margaret University East Lothian. Complete change of scenery and occupied for the day. Maisie enthusiastic about University choices and some good conversations about pros and cons of the various locations and courses. How did they get to be all grown up, all so quickly!

Happy to arrive home at 8pm and change clothes for loose pyjamas and do some stretching to ease out the still problematic underarm cording.

We are feeling brighter than this time last week, my pain is a lot less, the burning skin sensation much reduced and mobility resuming well. Paul had a positive interview on Thursday and two more lined up this week. Aberdeen jobs market seems quite buoyant so things look reasonably hopeful.

BUPA very kindly made me a cash payment following our recent subscription to the works scheme (discovered we should have been included back in February but were missed off the e mail). Managed to join and get back dated to September 1st so my stay in hospital was covered. Have put the cash aside to pay for my Sahara trek in the New Year. They also cover the cost of post surgery bras and prosthesis and reimbursed me for the M&S lingerie I brought before surgery.

Have felt absolutely shattered most of today, more than tired, slept for an hour in the afternoon then motivated myself to get up and out for a tea time beach walk in glorious evening sunshine, on Balmedie beach. Don’t know if was after effects of the long day yesterday, healing, or the drugs.

A month since surgery and I am well on the mend although my mind is full of emotions, thoughts and feelings. I am absorbing what’s happened to me and am dealing with the facts and looking to the future. It feels like I am sorting the pile of clutter in my head into tidy drawers and filing it all away. Not gone or forgotten but gradually dealt with and put away.

No comments:

Post a Comment