Thursday 13 September 2012

PINK


One week on from surgery.

Was rather sluggish and slow to get going this morning. Felt a bit weepy and sore. Enjoyed the luxury of Mum bringing a breakfast tray to me with steaming hot porridge, a jug of double cream and brown sugar to sprinkle. I then had a long soak in my bath and removed the dressing from the site of the drains and a few tapes from the wound. All looking very neat and clean, very little swelling except under the arm.

Mum helped me to try on my post-surgery bra and temporary prosthesis. Was rather uncomfortable at first and we had to jiggle about with the prosthesis to get it the right size and in the right place in the pocket of the bra! Having removed most of the stuffing from the” false” one we had a pretty good shape happening! It felt weird and did feel unnatural. I was very aware of the false “pad”. I’ve been quite happy with baggy jumpers and a soft vest since surgery but since we are planning a cinema trip in the morning I thought I might wear a closer fitting top.

My team of carers worked hard today with Mum ironing and clearing up, Alice hovering and tidying and also cooking for us – tuna bites and dip for lunch and a delicious spinach, walnut and Shropshire blue cheese tart for supper.

I’ve found a group in Aberdeen called PINK  (People In Need of Kindness) for ladies affected by cancer. (Originally the Mastectomy Association Grampian) They have lots of social events from cheese and wine, theatre, afternoon teas and lingerie evenings. Thinking I might try it out. Next meeting end of the month. Been wanting to widen my social circle for quite some time, this is not quite the direction I would have chosen, but who knows! Jogging my memory with PINK, a thank you to any of the guys who wore pink on the day of my surgery. I thought about you! Calvin Klein do fabulous pink underpants if you want to go a step further! Also thanks to Liz who has dressed her plastered leg in pink fabric!

Bought a Tickled Pink umbrella in Asda for a bit more “dancing in the rain”. Essential since in my foggy daze after diagnosis I left my umbrella on the back of a toilet door in Union Square!

Despite a two hour sleep after lunch I am still feeling quite fatigued this evening. Worked hard at my physio exercises today and have quite a bit more movement in my arm / shoulder than yesterday.

Looking forward to going out Friday morning with Alice, Maisie and Mum to see Anna Karenina and have coffee. Early showing at 1115am so I should have enough stamina not to fall asleep during the film!

Plentiful get well wishes and the house is full of flowers, chocolates and over 25 cards! Very much appreciated magazines and fruits, books and some gorgeous essential oil body products for a little pampering! Friends have been very thoughtful. The text and facebook messages mean a lot and are still very welcome and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment