Thursday 30 May 2013

Popeye


The fatigue knocked me for six for a couple of days again, together with a general feeling of being “unwell”. I phoned the GP practice and managed to get an appointment with the nurse to get my bloods checked as there had been no follow up after my two months of iron tablets.

I was told the results would be back by the end of the week, however the GP phoned at 9am the next morning to say my iron and haemoglobin levels were still below where they should be. That would account for the way I had been feeling again. Why on earth was it not followed up as routine? So I am now back on a higher dose of iron for four months. I'm also trying to pack my diet with spinach, rocket, shell fish, apricots and all good things packed with iron. Watch out Popeye!

Still no further forward dealing with the cause of the anaemia. I wrote via e mail to the gynaecology consultant to ask several questions about the proposed Mirena treatment, chased it up again last week, yet two weeks on, I still have no answers.

Seriously starting to look at which areas in the UK have reputable oncology departments, Its becoming clear that Aberdeen NHS do not have the staff or the money to give patients the best treatment. It's also easy to see why so many women give up on the Tamoxifen before the five years are up.

For now, I keep taking the drugs and will continue to pursue my quest for answers and treatment!

Very much looking forward to a week in France. Chance to enjoy some fresh garden produce, invigorating swimming in the unheated pool (in my new bikini!) and gentle jogging as training for the Race For Life in four weeks time!  I found it an emotional time being on the other side of the fence for the first time and poignant given I ran last years race with Alice just before my first mammogram and subsequent diagnosis. She ran a cracking time and I felt every step with her. At every turn was a sea of Macmillan t shirts, prostate cancer, Marie Curie, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer’s and many many more illness’s which the nation is constantly fund raising for with the goal of  wiping out some of these diseases and enhancing the quality of life for those affected. Each and every person pounding the streets for 13 or 26 miles on their own cathartic journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment