Tuesday 14 May 2013

BRCA1 & 2 Risks & Choices


Interesting reading. Why Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy.

These are the decisions facing young women who carry the BRCA1 or 2 genes.

Given that we now know there is some history in my family of breast cancer and prostate cancer, I shall be attending the genetics clinic myself over the coming months to determine if I carry this gene. The results of this, then of course, will have an impact on my daughters. If I have the gene they have a 50% chance of also carrying it. What is encouraging is that much research is being done into preventative treatments and in 15 years time when it may matter to my own girls, there may be better options that deciding to undergo drastic surgery.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?_r=2&

No comments:

Post a Comment