Wednesday 15 May 2013

Full Circle


 I have no idea what is happening to our national health service. I hear one awful story after another of misdiagnosis, no diagnosis or lack of care. My own experience of the NHS over the last year has certainly not been great and yesterday it took a dive downwards leaving me little faith in the system. I have gone full circle in the past two months, and am back to square one with no progress. To prevent the adverse changes that could be happening to my endometrium, as a result of taking Tamoxifen ,and which could ultimately lead to endometrium cancer, the hospital have prescribed a hormone based IUD which can feed breast cancer!

My GP showed complete lack of concern about the heavy periods after since taking Tamoxifen despite all information clearly stating that this should be discussed immediately with a health professional as the drug can cause adverse effects on the endometrium. My GP did diagnose anaemia but having prescribed iron for two months he did not ask to see me again at any point in the future to re check my bloods. Not happy with this I spoke to Macmillan cancer support who referred me straight back to the breast clinic saying I should see my consultant as this needing looking into and sorting sooner rather than later.

I saw my consultant, who was very brief and referred me to gynaecology. Gynaecology wrote to me yesterday. No appointment to see me, just a letter. A letter referring me back to my GP to have a Mirena intrauterine device fitted. They also sent me an information leaflet. On page 6 it clearly stated that this device was not suitable if you have or had breast cancer within the last five years. Baffled,confused and upset, I e mailed a friend who works in oncology in England. She came straight back saying they would never prescribe this to anyone who has or had breast cancer and that this was also the advice of the British National Formulary. This information also appears on the cancercare.org uk site.

The reason Mirena is not suitable is that it is hormone based and my breast cancer was hormone receptive ie the hormones feed the cancer. My oncology friend has also pointed out that they should be determining the actual cause of the bleeding and should not just be assuming that it is the Tamoxifen. I have had no examinations or tests and have not been asked any questions?

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next as my GP, consultant and gynaecologist simply don’t seem to know what they are doing.

This is just one of a catalogue of less than satisfactory care that I have experienced during my cancer diagnosis and treatment.

GP nor consultant believing there was anything wrong with my breast in the first place.

Abrupt, off hand man administering the initial ultrasound and almost sending me home without a diagnosis

Two weeks for clinic to decide what to do after an abnormal needle aspiration.

No follow up phone calls when expected on more than one occasion.

Breast MRI arranged for a month after my planned surgery (required in order to do surgery)

No information given on mastectomy or reconstruction options, just a general breast cancer booklet.

Breast cancer nurse attempting to take blood from my arm that had just the week before had a carpal tunnel op (she soon changed when I said it felt like the stitches were going to burst!)

Breast cancer nurse visiting on the ward 10 mins before my surgery, asking me had I been down or was I waiting to go? (Wouldn’t this be obvious?) I was sat up reading at the time!

Breast cancer nurse asking if I would be going home the same evening? Lots of ladies do after a lumpectomy. Mastectomy. I was having a mastectomy. I never spoke to her again.

GP told me there was no risk for my daughters of the BRCA1 or 2 gene if the breast cancer was on my fathers side and not my mothers. Incorrect information.

The more you raise your concerns or push for answers, the more they are keen to pass the buck and just get rid of you as quickly as possible. Every time I see the GP or the hospital I feel like I am going before a jury, to be judged. Armed with my defence, trying to get my case across so that they believe me. The thing is, this is not just happening to me, it's happening all over the NHS and peoples lives are being put at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment