Thursday 28 February 2013

Anaemia & Menorrhagia

I will soon start to rattle as my prescriptions increase! I was back at the doctors this week, one to get the breast cancer history on to the girls medical records for their future screening and secondly to mention my heavy periods and the fatigue. I had blood tests done which came back that I am anaemic, hence the bouts of tiredness. I have two prescriptions to pick up, one for the anaemia and one to reduce the heavy bleeding (menorrhagia). I have never been anaemic before, I take a multi vitamin with iron every morning, eat fortified wholegrain cereal for breakfast and am a regular eater of watercress, rocket, apricots and broccoli! A possible side effect of the heavy bleeding and / or Tamoxifen. I hope next week I will bouncing around with renewed energy in time for my weekend to London!

I went to the cinema at the weekend to see A Song for Marion. It was a little too close to home and hit a few raw nerves for the three of us who went, one being a fellow cancer survivor herself. The three of us wept almost all the way through! It was a brilliantly made British movie but far too real and emotional. I’m interested to see what someone who has not had first-hand experience of cancer thinks to it?

I’ve been swimming twice in the last week which I really enjoyed however I suffered on both occasions the following day, with severe shooting pains at the site of surgery. Next swim I will stick to breast stroke and drop the front crawl to see if that helps. I also managed a 20 mins run yesterday in glorious sunshine along the beach. I was fine with the running but shattered in the evening! Today I had a four hour coastal walk with a friend, which was great fun and uplifting. Fantastic therapy – good conversation, fresh air and exercise. Another early night and probably another 10 hours sleep like last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment