Wednesday 6 February 2013

Six months AD (After Diagnosis)

I didn’t feel so good yesterday, largely as I didn’t sleep well the previous night, ate late and couldn’t get off to sleep. I don't often get a "fatigue day" now but very occasionally one creeps in! I attempted a run the previous day which was fairly awful, only managed 10 minutes, had to walk the last part home. I felt nauseous and just couldn’t get going well. I’ve been managing 10-15 mins on the gym bike every day and my legs have not suffered. My hopes of getting out walking haven’t come to much as the weather has been so wet since I arrived in France. Running is probably not the way forwards, perhaps my body is trying to tell me something! I had wanted to run one more half marathon before I turned 50 and I managed that last year smashing my PB so maybe it’s time to quit while I am ahead!
Yoga and swimming are possibly good options for staying fit and active in a manner that is kinder to the body!

 My diet has been good here in France, my appetite pretty much back to normal, three good meals a day, plentiful fresh fruits, fish and vegetables in the supermarkets, with displays of produce far superior than anything to be found in the UK!

Today marks exactly 6 months since my cancer diagnosis. What a whirlwind time it has been, emotions in turmoil, swirling and blurring and over time, healing and fading, making way for the “new normal”.
There was no better way to mark the day than with the great news from Maisie that she had been offered a place at Newcastle University, her first choice. The waiting had been tense, but tense with nervous excitement. Today was a happy explosion of joy for us all.

On the drive back from Angouleme this afternoon the skies were as emotional, black hail clouds one side of the vineyards, blue with bright beams of sunshine the other, casting the end of a rainbow over the fields. A reminder of how we kept our spirits up six months ago by learning to “Dance in the Rain”.

No comments:

Post a Comment