Monday 9 September 2013

Cancer research news on Tamoxifen


News has just been published on the effects of women stopping their prescribed Tamoxifen too soon. I count myself lucky as my side effects have been minimal compared to many. The list of side effects is extensive and many more appear on cancer forums that are not officially listed. I myself have been experiencing a slightly elevated body temperature that comes on around one hour after taking Tamoxifen and remains between .5 and 1c degree up all day. Low grade fever has been experienced by many but is not listed as a side effect.

I can't speak for everyone, but I have not been given any support with Tamoxifen since being prescribed it after surgery a year ago. If we were seen regularly by the nurse or GP to chat about how we were coping I'm sure many more women would stick with the drug. There are things that can be done to help some of the side effects but none of this is explained or offered. I suffered heavy menstruation for months which lead to anaemia before I finally managed to get help in controlling things better. Despite being given more drugs to take I am largely managing things myself as no one is in the least bit bothered about a follow up. That’s where the whole tamoxifen therapy is falling down. We need on going support.

At my two week post surgery check up I was given a prescription and told to take Tamoxifen for five years. That was it. No follow up until one year later at my annual check up. By that point many women have indeed given up as it all becomes too much to bear on top of the cancer itself.
I am not in the least bit surprised by these headlines today
Cancer Research Tamoxifen News

No comments:

Post a Comment