Thursday 11 April 2013

Spring is in the air!

Despite another sprinkle of snow this morning, I am sure that Spring is in the air! I was delighted yesterday to purchase a fantastic T shirt for the sunnier warmer days that are ahead! I’m developing a good eye for folds and gathers in the right places on garments that might cleverly disguise my mastectomy without the need of always wearing a scarf. I’m very pleased with the jazzy print, ruched top which does not require a prosthesis or scarf! I’m on the look out for some more t shirts to add to my wardrobe! Also on order is a bikini, I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be wearing a one piece going forward and even that has proved tricky choosing not to wear a prosthesis. Most swimwear is padded or shaped, not suitable for my new shape. However, River island have a lovely bikini in stock which has a simple top with folds of fabric over the bust evening out the imbalance. Ideal for a splash in the South African swimming pools that I will be heading for before very long!

It was great to get in the gym again this week, I’m swimming regularly, a couple of times a week but I haven’t had the energy for much more than that recently. I was very happy to manage 20 mins on the running machine, 5 walking and 15 running, albeit at a somewhat slower pace that I was used to this time last year! I endeavour to continue with that!

 It was suggested to me that I buy a home blood pressure kit as some of my symptoms could be due to low blood pressure. Having tested myself every morning over the past 5 days an interesting pattern is emerging, of steadily rising blood pressure together with steadily rising energy levels! At its lowest, I was reading 97/70 increasing to 118 / 72 today. All within “normal” ranges but clearly some fluctuations. I had good energy levels on waking this morning, but was feeling rather tired the day of the low reading. I shall keep a record to take along to clinic at the end of the month.

I enjoyed another session of reflexology at CLAN this morning, an hour on the couch relaxing with a foot massage and gentle music! I was also invited to take part in some research to help shape the training of professionals who will be involved in future cancer care and service provision across the North East of Scotland. This is a joint project lead by Robert Gordon University and the University of Aberdeen in collaboration with CLAN Cancer Support. I shall be attending a focus group to share my cancer journey and to voice my experiences on how the professionals worked with me during the journey. It will be interesting to hear the experiences of others in the group, perhaps it will help restore some of my faith in the NHS!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment