Thursday 6 December 2012

From there, to here.


Wednesday 5th December 2012

I wonder how I got from there to here. A place that was overwhelming, that stirred up so many emotions and feelings that were at times, frightening and painful. To a place where life goes on, where scars heal and memories fade. Its exactly three months since my mastectomy and four months since my cancer diagnosis on 6th August. Looking back it was a very short journey – from there, to here. The early days are foggy, I do not read back over the blog. It was a dark and sometimes lonely time after surgery, combined with the uncertainty of Pauls job and our futures. But as does happen, time heals and things do not stay the same.

Today I celebrate being three months on and see how things have changed. Energy levels almost resumed, the occasional afternoon nap still required. General activities started up and back into the swing of living and enjoying.

During my recovery I picked up a copy of Landscape magazine and I read about the reindeer farm at Blithbury, the mistletoe festival in Tenbury Wells and the Christmas markets. Inspired to take a festive break, we packed our bags and departed last Wednesday,the day after Paul finally received notice of his redundancy. A sad departure for him after 37 years of service. A happy departure for us to head south and venture to new destinations and get a festive feel along with relaxing. The reindeer were beautiful and I was tempted when I saw the Reindeer For Sale” sign! Worcester Victorian market was pretty and full of atmosphere. Whirling around on the golden carousel was magical. Taking part in the Druids mistletoe ceremony after the parade through Tenbury Wells was quite special. Crisp clear cold winter skies were perfect for the crowning of the mistletoe queen. We left with several small bags of fresh mistletoe to take home.

Paul has returned to Aberdeen and I continue my journey visiting family and friends, many of whom I have not seen since surgery. My festive activities continue as I go to the Tideswell cookery school on Monday evening for a session of chocolate making! Thank you to everyone who is / has been accommodating and entertaining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment