Thursday 8 November 2012

New breast


I wore my “new breast” to town, with a view to finding a smart new T shirt bra. All my own underwired, half cup, padded bras were a non-starter following surgery and have subsequently journeyed to the charity shop. (Very sad moment). I have one nice mastectomy bra that I purchased before surgery which is fine if I want something under jumpers but it’s too patterned for under T shirts and close fitting clothes.

I selected three bras from the Post-Surgery rack in M&S. Carefully pushing the prosthesis into the left pocket, it was then a new art to try to hold the thing in place as the 6oz breast swung to one side while trying to fasten the back! I have no idea how larger ladies manage. Fastened up, the bras didn’t fit me or the prosthesis didn’t fit the bra. After three bars,I had already had enough and my mood fell. I wrapped the “breast” and put it and my bra back in my bag reverting to my comfy vest. My next job was to find swimwear, a hopeless task in Winter with the shops full of Christmas. Several sports shops, BHS, M&S & Primark later, I had found nothing.

Returning home, feeling frustrated,I looked through the brochures from clinic and figured the Amoena prosthesis should fit the Amoena bras. I ordered a plain T shirt bra on line and put the “breast” back in its box in the cupboard. I was delighted to find lovely mastectomy swimwear too! However, attempting to order, all my choices were “sold out” or only came in sizes upwards of 38” B no good for my petite 34” A. Next stop E Bay. I sat glued to the PC in a bidding war with two other people, for an M&S one piece, black and white patterned, including bust support in which I would be able to sew a “cup”. Result! For £7 including postage I had myself a swim suit. Every chance it still might not fit though!

Returning from two days in Glasgow with my lovely daughter, my parcels were waiting. A great nude, smooth, T shirt bra, just what I was after for those times when I might want a bust. Same problem though, the bra didn’t fit me and the prosthesis was bulging from the underarm. Tears in front of the mirror and several moments crying for the inconvenience of this cancer, declaring it would have been easier if they had cut them both off so I didn’t have to bother with bras or clothes to accommodate my new shape. The swimsuit was great quality and a super pattern to disguise my shape with high sides to hide the underarm scar. I stepped into it pulled it up and finally – success! Very happy with the fit, the shape and the look! Room inside to sew a cup or pad if I wish but quite fine just to wear it as it is. Very happy.

The bra is being returned and exchanged for a smaller size and if it fits I will then I return to clinic to exchange the breast” if it’s still not fitting the bra well.

Looking forward to getting to the pool soon as previous attempts have failed. I was fighting a fungal infection last week (Tamoxifen side effect) had the issue of a small fluid collection in the scar and this week a gum infection and mouth ulcers. I’m aiming to be fighting fit in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment