Sunday 16 June 2013

Appointments


I hadn’t really realised how much stress, the lack of response or any attempt by the NHS to sort out my anaemia and heavy periods, had been causing me. It was only when I left the hospital Friday afternoon that I felt the weight lifted from me, as for once, I had been taken seriously by someone who knew why I was in the consulting room. I was given a full explanation as to how the Tamoxifen works, including its positive effect as an antagonist in breast tissue but as an agonist on the endometrium, causing endometrial changes in some women.  The doctor asked if any of this had been explained to me already or if I had already had an ultrasound scan. The answer to both, was “no”.

The doctor was brilliant, very friendly, filled me with confidence, explained the different treatments that I can try and suggested a scan and a biopsy of the endometrium to check for polyps or any other adverse changes. I expected to be given an appointment but was taken into a side room on Ward 42 (same ward as I was on for the mastectomy – rather emotional being back there again) and had the scan and biopsy done there and then. Not quite how I planned to spend a Friday afternoon, watching my ovaries and uterus on the screen while my legs dangled over the supports at the end of the bed in a very un lady like fashion! No polys or anything else of concern, lining being within the expected thickness as a Tamoxifen user. The biospy of the endometrium was slightly uncomfortable but fine, although as warned I did bleed afterwards.Biopsy results will be back in 6 weeks or so. Meantime, some simple measures I can take that might help. Non steroid anti-inflammatory, Mefenamic Acid and Ibuprofen two days before the onset of menstruation and during, which may help to reduce bleeding. Things will be reviewed once the biopsy results are back and once it has been established if my breast cancer was progesterone receptive or not.

At least I now feel things can be improved and I hope to shift the anemia and those occasional days of chronic fatigue that have been ongoing for some months. Just a shame it has taken four months to get the ball rolling.

June 18th marks one year since I went for my first mamogram and started on this journey. I'm supposed to have my annual mammogram check anytime now, but as yet no appointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment